Vacationing with a baby means a ton of luggage! There are clothes, feeding supplies, diapers, toys, and of course safe sleep equipment to bring among countless other miscellaneous items.
If you’re looking for something light and portable to bring for your baby to sleep in on vacation, here are five options that can keep your baggage manageable:
1. A Portable Crib
A portable crib is a great option for a baby to sleep in while on vacation. It’s lightweight and easy to set up, and provides a comfortable and safe place for baby to sleep. Look for one that’s easy to fold and has wheels for easy transport.
There are many portable cribs on the market, and the best one for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. The Lotus Travel Crib is one portable crib that I would recommend.
The Lotus Travel Crib is a highly rated and popular option that is known for its ease of use, portability, and comfort. It’s made from durable and non-toxic materials, folds up into a backpack (that weighs 13 lbs), and is designed to be set up and taken down in just a few seconds.
Additionally, the Lotus Travel Crib is certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) and meets all applicable safety standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
Worry-free infant travel!
Designed to be easy to fly with the compact, light backpack carrying case. Set up is simple in 15 seconds and only weighs 13 lbs packed.
This is just one example of a highly-rated portable crib, and there are many other options on the market that may also meet your needs. You may also prefer one of the other four travel sleep options below.
2. A Travel Bassinet
A travel bassinet is another option that’s perfect for a baby to sleep in while on vacation. It’s small and compact, so it’s easy to pack and transport anywhere, and it provides a comfortable and safe sleeping environment for your baby.
One travel bassinet that I have personally used and would recommend is the HALO Baby Flex BassiNest, Adjustable Travel Bassinet. The Halo portable bassinet is known for its versatility, portability, and safety features. It’s designed to be used as a bedside bassinet, so you can keep your baby close while sleeping in a hotel room or other travel accommodation.
It also has mesh sides for safe airflow and a sturdy base that provides a secure sleeping surface for your baby. Most importantly, the Halo Bassinest Portable Bassinet is certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) and meets all applicable safety standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
Again, this is just one example of a good travel bassinet, which just happens to be the one I’ve used and loved. There are many other options on the market that may also meet your needs, or you may perfer one of the other styles on this list.
3. A Travel Co-Sleeper
While a co-sleeper is very similar to a bassinet, it sits on your bed (or on the floor) rather than on legs or a stand. This makes it very light and portable by nature, though a true “travel co-sleeper” will be the most portable option.
The Baby Delight Snuggle Nest Portable Co-Sleeper is a good travel co-sleeper option for babies because of its portability and safety features. Here are some reasons why:
- Compact and lightweight: The Snuggle Nest is lightweight and compact, making it easy to pack in a suitcase for travel.
- Safety features: The Snuggle Nest has a firm, flat sleeping surface, and high sides that help keep baby safely in place. Additionally, it is made from materials that are free from harmful chemicals, making it a safe sleeping option for baby.
- Convenient for bed-sharing: The Snuggle Nest is designed to be used as a bedside co-sleeper, so you can keep your baby close while sleeping in a hotel room or other travel destination.
- Easy to clean: The Snuggle Nest has a removable and washable cover and sheet, making it easy to clean and maintain.
- Affordable: Compared to other travel co-sleepers, the Snuggle Nest is an affordable option, making it a great choice for parents who are looking for a safe and convenient sleeping solution for their baby while traveling.
The Snuggle Nest is an infant lounger that creates a comfortable spot for your baby to sleep in anywhere.
The tall walls are lined with a soft, comfort-mesh which helps provide ample air circulation and breathability.
These are just a few reasons why the Baby Delight Snuggle Nest Portable Co-Sleeper is a good travel option for babies. As with any travel product for baby, it’s important to prioritize safety and comfort, and to do your own research and read reviews before making a decision.
4. A Pack ‘n Play
A Pack ‘n Play is a versatile option that can be used as a playard, a changing station, and a place for baby to sleep. It’s easy to set up and take down, and most come with a carrying bag for convenient transport.
There are many travel Pack ‘n Play options on the market, and the best one for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences but the most popular one is probably the Graco Pack ‘n Play Playard On-The-Go model.
The Graco Pack ‘n Play Playard On-The-Go is so highly rated and popular as it’s known for its portability, versatility, and convenience. It’s designed to be lightweight and compact, making it easy to pack and carry, and it can be set up in just a matter of seconds.
Additionally, the Graco Pack ‘n Play Playard On-The-Go has a convenient storage area for baby’s essentials, and it’s made from durable and non-toxic materials, ensuring a safe and comfortable sleeping environment for your baby.
The Graco Pack 'N Play On The Go Playard's removable, full-size bassinet provides the perfect spot for baby to catch a nap, at home and away.
The Signature Graco push-button fold makes opening and closing your playard quick and hassle-free with a 20% more compact fold than the average playard.
5. A Portable Bed Rail
A portable bed rail can be used to convert a second hotel bed into a safe and secure sleeping space for baby. It’s easy to pack and set up, and can be adjusted to fit most hotel beds.
The hiccapop Inflatable Bed Rail is a popular and highly-rated portable bed rail option that can be packed up in your suitcase.
- Portability: The hiccapop Inflatable Bed Rail is lightweight and compact, making it easy to pack and carry with you on your trip. It can be inflated in just a matter of minutes, and it comes with a travel bag for storage. When it’s time to pack up again it has a push-button release valve that quickly deflates the bed bumper.
- Versatility: hiccapop Inflatable Bed Rails will work on any bed or sofa, making it a versatile option for use in different types of hotel rooms or other travel destinations.
- Safety: The hiccapop Inflatable Bed Rail is made from durable, non-toxic materials.
- Comfort: The hiccapop Inflatable Bed Rail has a plush, comfortable top surface that provides a soft and cozy place for your baby to rest.
These inflatable bed rails work on all beds and install under fitted sheets in seconds.
The bumpers inflate simply with no pump and are lightweight, compact and come with a convenient travel bag.
Made of safe, non-toxic materials, and meet all ASTM regulations.
These are just a few reasons why the hiccapop Inflatable Bed Rail is a good portable bed rail option to help turn a regular hotel bed into a safe sleeping environment for your older baby.
As with any portable bed rail, it’s important to read reviews and to always prioritize your baby’s safety and comfort when making a decision.
Other Baby Sleep Essentials for Travel
In addition to the sleeping surface itself, here are a few other baby sleep essentials you may want to add to your packing list:
- Baby carrier: A baby carrier can be a great option for a new parent to bring on vacation, especially if you plan to be out and about a lot. It allows your baby to nap safely while you explore your vacation destination while taking up very little space in your luggage.
- Sound machine: A sound machine can help soothe your baby to sleep while on vacation. Look for one that’s portable and has a variety of soothing sounds, such as white noise, ocean waves, and lullabies.
When choosing a portable sleeping solution for your baby on a trip, it’s important to prioritize their safety and comfort. Travel bassinets, portable cribs, and travel co-sleepers are all great options to consider, and the best one for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. When looking for a portable sleeping solution, look for one that is JPMA certified, meets safety standards set by the CPSC and AAP, and has features such as mesh sides for improved air flow, a sturdy base, and adjustable height settings. Additionally, reading reviews from other parents can also help you make an informed decision.
Make sure to follow all manufacturer guidelines for setting up and using any sleeping gear you bring on your trip. I hope these suggestions are helpful for your upcoming vacation!